As a natural skin care expert for almost 12 years, I research health and wellness all the time. What I discovered is that the best ways to maintain healthy skin is by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I have written about the balance of healthy eating, drinking and lifestyle before, but here is a super easy tips list to get you going stronger and more vital than ever!
Here are my tips on better living through good health and great choices and most of all, fun:
1) Wondrous things happen when you put yourself first, too. Start doing this, and watch your self-esteem sky-rocket This is not a selfish thing, but a self-less thing. The more we care for others, but forget ourselves, the more we tend to regret. And feel less-than. Both of those feeling are do not serve you. They undermine you. Taking care of yourself means you recognize that you are just as important as everyone else in your life. This is a good thing, trust me! Do this! Watch your health improve, too!
2) Give up processed foods and artificial sweeteners. Your body is worth real food, not something that once started as food. Plant based (veggies and fruits grown by farmers), not plant based (factory workers putting your now processed food in a box) is how I look at it. Oh how important this is! It is really easy to pick up something fast and easy. But the more you treat your body and your health to quick food, the more it will reject healthful habits. Processed foods add salt and sugar and additives that your body will have to work harder to digest, so it leaves you feeling sluggish and hungry for more nutrients. Eat the real stuff with the real nutrients. You will feel infinitely better!
3) Add healthy supplements to your diet in areas you might need a boost. There is nothing wrong with taking supplements, so long as that is all they are. supplements. Eating healthy food is truly #1. However, adding a daily dose of extra Vitamin C. or Vitamin E, or Quercetin for it’s anti-inflammation properties, or Green Tea for it’s antioxidents is awesome for overall health. Figure out what you need more of and add those as extra bonuses!
4) Start taking more life and enjoyment breaks and keep up with hobbies. We all have chores and work and life to deal with. It wouldn’t be life if we didn’t have the basics. But taking breaks and doing things for pure joy work really well at helping you have life balance. It makes your entire demeanor better. It makes you work harder and smarter because you know you also have the extra life joy things. Start with one hobby that you love and do something. Paint lessons, drum lessons, roller blading, travel near or far. Just remember to satisfy your inner love. Inner peace and another boost to your health.
5) Start juicing! Or at least making smoothies. It is truly amazing. It offers a super, top of the food chain, nutrition packed meal in a tasty juice. If you prefer smoothies, just pack your blender with 70-80% veggies and 20-30% fruit. Add water and blend! If you are juicing, you’ll be stripping out the insoluble fiber, which makes the nutrients in the juice hit your system within 10-15 minutes. You’ll be getting more plant based health and nutrition than you could ever eat in one setting. Powerful stuff!
6) Get the lymph fluids moving by exercising. Do something for at least 10-15 minutes a day. More if you have the time, but at least that to feel the difference. This helps eliminate toxins throughout the body, gets your muscles moving, warmed up and more limber. It also helps clear your mind and gives you a, “YES! I did something awesome for myself” feeling. I love inline skating, hiking and Pilates.
7) Exfoliate your skin on a regular basis, either by using a scrub or a body brush. I can’t stress the difference your skin will feel when you exfoliate more regularly. Mother Nature sheds our skin about once a month or less. Polishing the dead skin off more often ensures fresher skin cells coming to the surface. This makes other products, like lotion or sunscreen, work better because they are being put on a silkier, smoother surface. Plus, your skin will be fresher and more taut, too. You will shine with health.
So there you have my most basic list. I can’t stress the importance of taking care of yourself for body, mind and skin! More importantly, you deserve this!
What are some of your tips?