As a natural skin care expert for almost 17 (!!)years, I research health and wellness all the time. What I discovered is that the best way to maintain your own health, as well as the health of your skin, is by maintaining a balance of lifestyle, eating, drinking, and good skincare, but here is a super easy tip list to get you going stronger and more vital than ever!
And in today’s stress-filled dynamic, taking care of yourself is more important than ever.
Here are 8 tips for better living through good health and great choices and most of all, fun:
1) Wondrous things happen when you put yourself first, too. Start doing this, and watch your self-esteem skyrocket This is not a selfish thing, but a selfless thing. The more we care for others, but forget ourselves, the more we tend to regret it. And feel less-than. Both of those feeling do not serve you. They undermine you. Taking care of yourself means you recognize that you are just as important as everyone else in your life. This is a good thing, trust me! Do this! Watch your health improve, too!
2) Give up processed foods and artificial sweeteners. Your body is worth real food, not something that once started as food. Plant-based (veggies and fruits grown by farmers), not plant-based (factory workers putting your now processed food in a box) is how I look at it. Oh, how important this is! It is really easy to pick up something fast and easy. But the more you treat your body and your health to quick food, the more it will reject healthful habits. Processed foods add salt and sugar and additives that your body will have to work harder to digest, so it leaves you feeling sluggish and hungry for more nutrients. Eat the real stuff with the real nutrients. You will feel infinitely better!
3) Add healthy supplements to your diet in areas you might need a boost. There is nothing wrong with taking supplements, so long as that is all they are. supplements. Eating healthy food is truly #1. However, adding a daily dose of extra Vitamin C. or Vitamin E, or Quercetin for its anti-inflammation properties, or Green Tea for its antioxidants is awesome for overall health. Figure out what you need more of and add those as extra bonuses!
4) Start taking more life and enjoyment breaks and keep up with hobbies. We all have chores and work and life to deal with. It wouldn’t be life if we didn’t have the basics. But taking breaks and doing things for pure joy work really well at helping you have life balance. It makes your entire demeanor better. It makes you work harder and smarter because you know you also have the extra life joy things. Start with one hobby that you love and do something. Paint lessons, drum lessons, rollerblading, travel near or far. Just remember to satisfy your inner love. Inner peace and another boost to your health.
5) Start juicing! Or at least making smoothies. It is truly amazing. It offers a super, top-of-the-food-chain, nutrition-packed meal in tasty juice. If you prefer smoothies, just pack your blender with 70-80% veggies and 20-30% fruit. Add water and blend! If you are juicing, you’ll be stripping out the insoluble fiber, which makes the nutrients in the juice hit your system within 10-15 minutes. You’ll be getting more plant-based health and nutrition than you could ever eat in one setting. Powerful stuff!
6) Get the lymph fluids moving by exercising. Do something for at least 10-15 minutes a day. More if you have the time, but at least that to feel the difference. This helps eliminate toxins throughout the body and gets your muscles moving, warmed up and more limber. It also helps clear your mind and gives you a, “YES! I did something awesome for myself” feeling. I love inline skating, hiking, and Pilates.
7) Exfoliate your skin on a regular basis, either by using a scrub or a body brush. I can’t stress the difference your skin will feel when you exfoliate more regularly. Mother Nature sheds our skin about once a month or less. Polishing the dead skin off more often ensures fresher skin cells come to the surface. This makes other products, like lotion or sunscreen, work better because they are being put on a silkier, smoother surface. Plus, your skin will be fresher and tauter, too. You will shine with health.
8) Drink your water! Our bodies are mainly water, and it is vital to the proper function of so many organs, most especially the brain! Drinking approximately 1/2 your weight in water, daily, means you will help improve memory, digestion, your skin, your bathroom habits, and pretty much everything else in regard to your health. I add lemon and ginger to mine, but plain, or infused with cucumber or berries are perfect ways to liven water up and still get your ounces in.
So there you have my most basic list. I can’t stress the importance of taking care of yourself for body, mind, and skin! More importantly, you deserve this!
What are some of your tips?